I should have been walking up to Gokyo Ri today. Because of our changed circumstances it gave me the chance to book on a trek in the Everest area. After reading books about Everest expeditions for many years I was finally going to see the great ‘Chomolunga’ myself. But it was not to be. A couple of weeks ago I found out I had shingles and then got a vicious cold on top of that and had to pull out of the trek.
I hung on for as long as possible, hoping I might improve enough to go for it but in the end knew I was going to be a liability to the rest of the team if I tried to brave it out. It was the right decision but every day I mentally trace the journey I should have been doing.
The Nepalese put virtually all sickness down to changes in the weather and as the weather has indeed been changing lately and has been much colder than usual for March I’ve lost count of how many times this explanation has been proferred and have given up explaining about our visit to a friend’s house who had exactly the same type of cold.
If you’ve been following our story then you will know that such changes of plans have been the story of our last year. Jenny is currently applying for a research visa and if successful then we will at least have stability for one year ahead. The research fits really well with the work she hopes to be able to do here in the future. Having got all the paperwork together, in triplicate, Jenny delivered it to the office only to be told that she needed a transcript of her Uni results and not just her degree certificate. We had no idea such a thing existed from our studies 30 years ago. We’re hoping that Royal Holloway can supply one or otherwise it will be all change again……
Image from: By AceNotorious (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons